Lead Web Developer
Lead Web Developer
Salary: up to $144,900 Commensurate with Experience (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer exists to ensure that technology is inclusive, accessible, and delivers opportunity for all New Yorkers. We work to achieve universal broadband, improve the City’s digital services, continue to grow the City’s innovation ecosystem, foster well-informed regulation and policy-making around emerging technologies, solve problems faster and better, and plan ahead to ensure that New York City is future-ready.
The New York City Digital Service uses human-centric approaches to design, develop, and deliver innovative, inclusive, accessible, and best-in-class digital products . We strive to improve and increase public access to City services, enhance trust and engagement with City Government, and to build digital tools and products with and for New Yorkers.
We are looking for a Lead Web Developer to help lead a team of full-stack developers delivering on this mission and make New York City the fairest big city in America.
- Serve as the lead for the development of full-stack code for web applications in order to deliver modern digital services to New Yorkers at low cost;
- Provide internal and external thought leadership;
- Write code that is well documented, test-driven, and open-source where possible;
- Learn new languages and frameworks as required by the product or agency partners;
- Provide guidance on languages, frameworks, and code architecture to other developers;
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with teammates (including the Product Manager, Web Developer, and Data Scientist) ;
- Perform special technology-related projects, as assigned.
- AWS, Azure, and/or GCP, including serverless functions;
- SQL and NoSQL databases;
- High chance of needing to learn a new toolchain, framework, or language.
- 6+ years of relevant work experience, including 3+ years of work experience in high-pressure, entrepreneurial environments;
- High comfort and familiarity with dev ops best practices;
- Experience with and willingness to do pair programming;
- Familiarity with open-source libraries and tools;
- Expertise in agile development methodologies;
- Experience deploying cloud-based applications;
- Experience deploying on-premises-based applications;
- A growth mindset
- BA/BS including 24 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or related field and 4 years of experience in the performance of analytical, planning, operational, technical, or administrative duties in a voice and/or data telecommunications or closely related areas 18 months must have been in an executive, managerial, or administrative capacity or
- An associate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 12 credits in the field and 5 years experience as described in “1” above; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent.
- NYC residency*
* New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.Apply Now